The gender gap in medicine
Female doctors are intimately aware of the ongoing inequities women face in health care — both as providers and as patients. For International Women’s Day and Canadian Women Physicians Day, we spoke to Alberta obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Fiona Mattatall about bridging the gender gap. We also looked at what our National Physician Health Survey reveals about wellness for women in the field.
What the new federal funding means for health care in Canada
The upcoming federal budget is expected to include a long-awaited boost to Canada’s health funding envelope. This is an important first step to making meaningful changes to the way health care is delivered across the country.
A licence to help – wherever help is needed most
- The challenge: Canada currently has as many licensing systems as it does provinces and territories. With few exceptions, practising in a different region means a lengthy application process and thousands of dollars in fees, severely limiting physician mobility. Adopting pan-Canadian licensure can make a difference.
- In rural and remote communities: Patients living in these areas often must take time off and pay for travel and childcare for both routine and specialized care. Accessing the same physicians through virtual care would make care more accessible.
- For continuity of care: After three months in a new province or territory, patients are no longer covered for care from doctors they left behind — even virtually. A single licensure system would help bridge this gap in primary care services.
- For physician work-life balance: A national pool of eligible physicians to fill locums can provide valuable work experience for new physicians, provide greater flexibility in practice and reduce workplace stress.
- Learn more about what pan-Canadian licensure can do for a workforce in crisis.
Lend your voice to our work to build a better health future
Helping physicians be their best
- Wellness Hub
Tools and resources to help physicians at all ages and stages, and inform a new culture of medicine.
- Wellness Connection
Trained facilitators lead discussions on topics from psychological first aid to mindful parenting in a virtual safe space for learners and physicians.
- Pandemic wellness toolkit
COVID-19 has had a devastating toll on many health professionals. Get support - for your peers, and yourself.
- Help lead the change
Find out how to join the CMA in driving health care reform at a national level.
Help shape the future of the profession and health care, and connect with colleagues across the country.
- Patient Partners
Learn about the patients informing the CMA’s work for a better future of health.
- Ask a librarian
Get expert search assistance and save time by asking our team of experienced medical librarians.
- Clinical Tools
Stay informed and make better patient care decisions with our curated suite of tools, databases and clinical updates.
- Physician Leadership Institute
Build the leadership skills and networks you need to achieve your goals at any stage of your career.
- Practice Management Curriculum
Transition to practice with the non-clinical skills you need to succeed.