Recording Secretary and Advisor, Board Governance
Associate Director, Governance
Overall job purpose:
Manages the development of multi-year planning to sustain the core operations and activities of the CMA Board of Directors. Develops and monitors budgets and expenses, plans meetings and events and provides support for Board activities. Oversees logistics, communications and information management. Develops meeting agendas and prepares official records of the association's business (e.g., minutes, reports etc.) for publication. Liaises extensively with CMA elected and staff leadership. Manages other committees as necessary.
- Manages the processes and procedures responsible for the business activities of the CMA Board of Directors and other committees as required. Although no direct reports, oversees resources within and external to the department to deliver on mandate.
- Plans and develops meeting agendas to ensure strategic alignment of CMA activities at the Board level, including orientation.
- Authors the official records of the association including minutes and other reports for the Board and Annual General Meeting.
- Manages communications for the Board of Directors.
- Develops, monitors and forecasts the budget for the Board of Directors. Reviews all related invoices and expenses payable.
- Manages the logistical arrangements for all meetings of the Board, including all on-site and off-site meetings and conferences, including professional development activities (scheduling, conference and special events planning, contracts, translation services, audio visual services, travel, accommodations, teleconferences, etc. (approx. 10-15 meetings per year — for approximately 40 elected and staff). Oversees various indirect reports in this regard.
- Oversees and manages information and documents for the Board, including distribution and retention of corporate records.
- Other duties as required to ensure the effective and efficient functioning of the Board.
- Maintains confidentiality of information received.
Key skills and competencies:
- Creativity and innovation
- Customer / member focus
- Results oriented
- Teamwork and collaboration
Additional skills required for the role:
- It is critical that the incumbent maintains the highest standards of confidentiality in the performance of duties given the highly sensitive issues discussed and information exchanged.
- The position requires excellent writing and communications skills with high-level experience in writing minutes.
- Significant experience in problem solving and coordinating multiple tasks in a fast paced, high-pressure office is a requirement. Must possess excellent organizational skills while maintaining flexibility, the ability to prioritize a heavy workload and be able to maintain the highest standards of professionalism and accuracy.
- This position requires interaction with senior elected officials, members and staff and deals with confidential and sensitive material. Professionalism, judgement, discretion and confidentiality are crucial attributes the incumbent must possess when filling the responsibilities of this position.
- This position also involves high consequence of error because it deals with members of the Board, who are crucial to the successful completion of CMA’s mission and strategies.
- The demands of this position require overtime work on weekends in addition to the regular 35-hour work week. Attendance at meetings of the Board of Directors and the AGM consumes at least 5-6 weekends per year.
- Relevant University degree; or equivalent combination of post-secondary education and extensive relevant experience
- 6-9 years of relevant experience, including experience in report writing and minute taking
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CMA is an equal opportunity employer and will reasonably accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and hiring process.