Studying to be a physician isn’t easy
The Alberta Medical Association and the Canadian Medical Association will help you through medical school with resources, tools and advice.
All this and more for a dime a day
The AMA and CMA are the medical community’s provincial and national associations. Membership costs less than a dime a day, and provides invaluable benefits, including:
- The CMA’s in-person or videoconference advocacy training can help you learn more about the political process, and how you can become an effective advocate for the medical profession and make a difference.
- The MD-MP Contact Program connects you with your Member of Parliament so you can provide feedback on key issues for medical students, residents and physicians.
- CMA provides support for student advocacy initiatives, such as lobby days, and help to prepare to for events to ensure you meet your strategic objectives.
- The AMA’s Committee on Student Affairs works to ensure medical students’ needs are understood and met. Student representatives to the AMA also ensure effective two-way communication.
- The AMA’s Representative Forum includes two medical student delegates and there is one non-voting observer on the AMA Board of Directors. Students can also volunteer for a number of AMA committees. (albertadoctors.org/services/students/ama)
Information on the go
- Free, anytime, anywhere access to ClinicalKey, a comprehensive and current collection of textbooks, journals and multimedia resources, including medical videos and images across 30+ specialities (cma.ca/clinicalkey).
- Access best-in-class clinical tools, including DynaMed’s collection of evidence summaries and drug information on the RxTx Mobile App (cma.ca/resources).
- Sign up for daily POEMs by Essential Evidence Plus to receive concise, daily email summaries of the latest clinical studies (cma.ca/poems).
- Contact CMA librarians for MEDLINE searches and to help you plan search strategies and get the most from CMA’s clinical resources (email@example.com).
- Get original clinical research, analyses and reviews, news, practice updates and editorials with CMAJ online at cmaj.ca and on the CMAJ app (cmaj.ca).
- Develop personal leadership skills through “Leadership begins with self-awareness,” an online course for students and residents (cma.ca/onlineleadership).
- Enjoy personalized, expert advice and best-in-class solutions to help you finance your education, manage your money and plan for your future needs through MD Financial Management. MD can help you access a full range of banking products1, including student lines of credit, chequing accounts, credit card products and mortgages.
- The AMA supports members with costs and expenses through event sponsorships, scholarships, bursaries and travel grants (albertadoctors.org/services/students/money).
- Take advantage of unique savings programs from the AMA and CMA, with discounts on car rentals, travel, hotels, cell phone plans, mobile software, fitness and leisure, and more (ama.org/advantages |
- Protect your health and your future with coverage from the AMA’s ADIUM Insurance Services, including a variety of products with competitive rates, comprehensive coverage and no added fees or commissions (albertadoctors.org/services/physicians/insurance/for-students).
These are just a few of the benefits of AMA and CMA membership. To find out more about the services, resources, benefits and leadership opportunities available to medical students, please visit
To learn more about AMA membership, visit
albertadoctors.org or call 866-714-5724, x5359
To learn more about CMA membership, visit cma.ca or contact the CMA Member Service Centre at 888-855-2555 (weekdays, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET) or
You must be a member of the AMA to join the CMA.
MD Financial Management provides financial products and services, the MD Family of Funds and investment counselling services through the MD Group of Companies. For a detailed list of these companies, visit
1 Banking products and services are offered by National Bank of Canada through a relationship with MD Management Limited. Credit and lending products are subject to credit approval by National Bank of Canada. All life-licensed MD Management Advisors and MD Insurance Consultants have life licenses with MD Insurance Agency Limited.