Studying to be a physician isn’t easy
The New Brunswick Medical Society and the Canadian Medical Association will help you through medical school with advocacy, tools and advice.
All this and more for a dime a day
The NBMS and the CMA are the medical community’s provincial and national associations. Membership costs less than a dime a day, and provides invaluable benefits, including:
- The CMA’s in-person or videoconference advocacy training can help you learn more about the political process, and how you can become an effective advocate for the medical profession and make a difference. „
- The MD-MP Contact Program connects you with your Member of Parliament so you can provide feedback on key issues for medical students, residents and physicians. „
- CMA provides support for student advocacy initiatives, such as lobby days, and help to prepare you for events to ensure you meet your strategic objectives. „
- Gain advocacy experience as a medical student observer on the NBMS Board of Directors. The position is rotated on a three-year cycle between Sherbrooke, Memorial and Dalhousie universities. In addition, the Members in Training Committee represents student and resident interests to the NBMS Board of Directors. You can also attend NBMS Continuing Professional Development Programs, designed for practising physicians, but also available to interested students. „
- Enjoy NBMS-supported activities and events organized by your student association. NBMS provides annual grants to the medical student associations at Dalhousie (Saint John campus), Sherbrooke (Moncton campus) and Memorial. „
- NBMS partners with the province and two regional health authorities to bring first and second-year students closer to the medical community by giving them a chance to shadow doctors and other health care providers in a number of different settings. „
- Health and patient care advocacy: The NBMS monitors health care issues that directly affect our patients. These take top priority in our advocacy work. We develop patient-focused recommendations to government, other health care organizations and our members. To see current campaigns, visit the NBMS website.
Information on the go
- Free anytime, anywhere access to ClinicalKey, a comprehensive and current collection of textbooks, journals and multimedia resources, including medical videos and images across 30+ specialities (cma.ca/clinicalkey). „
- Access best-in-class clinical tools, including DynaMed’s collection of evidence summaries and drug information on the RxTx Mobile App (cma.ca/resources). „
- Sign up for daily POEMs by Essential Evidence Plus to receive concise, daily email summaries of the latest clinical studies (cma.ca/poems). „
- Contact CMA librarians for MEDLINE searches and to help you plan search strategies and get the most from CMA’s clinical resources (firstname.lastname@example.org). „
- Get original clinical research, analyses and reviews, news, practice updates and editorials with CMAJ online at cmaj.ca and on the CMAJ app (cmaj.ca). „
- Access an electronic version of the NBMS magazine OPUS MD, which can be found in the members’ section of the NBMS website. „
- Keep up to date with the latest NBMS news with the eBulletin, sent by email at the start of each month. „
- Develop personal leadership skills through Leadership begins with self-awareness, an online course for students and residents (cma.ca/onlineleadership).
- Enjoy personalized, expert advice and best-in-class solutions to help you finance your education, manage your money and plan for your future needs through MD Financial Management. MD can help you with a full range of banking products1, including student lines of credit, chequing accounts, credit card products and mortgages. „
- Take advantage of unique savings programs from NBMS and the CMA, with discounts on car rentals, travel, hotels, cellphone plans, mobile software, fitness and leisure, and more (cma.ca/memberdiscounts |
- Benefit from disability insurance coverage through the Ontario Medical Association, and preferred group home and auto insurance rates through Wilson Insurance. „
- Apply for NBMS bursaries offered to students at Dalhousie University (Saint John campus), Université de Sherbrooke (Moncton campus) and Memorial University. Bursary selection is carried out by Student Affairs/Financial Services officers at each university.
These are just a few of the benefits of NBMS and CMA membership. To learn more about NBMS membership, visit nbms.nb.ca, call 506-458-8860 or email email@example.com. To learn more about CMA membership, visit cma.ca or contact the CMA Member Service Centre at 888-855-2555 (weekdays, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET) or
You must be a member of the NBMS to join the CMA.
MD Financial Management provides financial products and services, the MD Family of Funds and investment counselling services through the MD Group of Companies. For a detailed list of these companies, visit
1 Banking products and services are offered by National Bank of Canada through a relationship with MD Management Limited. Credit and lending products are subject to credit approval by National Bank of Canada. All life-licensed MD Management Advisors and MD Insurance Consultants have life licenses with MD Insurance Agency Limited.