Foundational online module on medical assistance in dying
Participants need to create a cma.ca account to access this online module. Whether you are a CMA member or not, you will need a cma.ca account.
To register you will need your six-digit CMA ID number. Need help with your CMA ID number? Call our Member Services Centre
888-855-2555 (toll-free) between 8 am and 8 pm EST on weekdays.
If you already have access to your CMA ID,
complete your cma.ca registration now. Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for a cma.ca account to become active.
View computer requirements for online courses.
Frequently asked questions
How to access and launch the online module – Quick reference guide
This module provides information on medical assistance in dying that may be of interest to all practising physicians, so they can (1) understand what is involved, (2) advise their patients and (3) make an informed decision about whether they should include this in their practice.
This module would
not be expected to provide participants with the training needed to provide comprehensive care at the end of life or medical assistance in dying.
After completing this module, the learner will be able to:
- Identify basic terminology relevant to medical assistance in dying
- Describe the current legal and regulatory landscape related to medical assistance in dying
- Reflect upon and discuss the complexities of a request for medical assistance in dying
- Respond appropriately to a request for medical assistance in dying as part of the patient-physician relationship
- Engage with patients and their families following a request for medical assistance in dying
The online module will take approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete. Participants will access the module at the time of their choosing.
- Participants can interact through a moderated discussion board
- Participants can consult an expert through the Ask the Expert function
Completion of the module is a pre-requisite for participation in the advanced course.
The module is accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada for 1.5 MOC (Section 1) credits and by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for 1.5 Mainpro+ certified Self-Learning credits.
Free for members as a benefit of membership
Non CMA Members
The cost to non-members is $299.
For further information, email