Making patient-centered care a reality
Participants need to be a CMA member to access the course through the CMA’s learning management system (LMS).
Participants must have a cma.ca account to access the course through the Learning management system.
Create one here.
Please click to view computer requirements for online courses.
While the phrase “patient-centered care” is used frequently in healthcare, there is a lot of confusion about what it is and is not.
In this highly interactive, conversational six-week online course, participants will learn how to incorporate patient-centered care into your practice, across interdisciplinary teams and within organizations. The course material leverages the experience of other organizations and programs, giving participants concrete strategies for moving forward. The course format provides physicians with the opportunity to delve into concepts through conversations with physicians, healthcare teams and well-known thought leaders, and engage with each other and course faculty in online discussions and webinars.
Return on investment
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Explain the concept of patient-centered care: what it is and what it isn’t - and what it can be
- Discuss why focusing on patient-centered care has the potential to make all of our jobs easier and more fulfilling
- Illustrate examples of programs and organizations that have engaged and included patients in many aspects of decision making, how they did it and pitfalls discovered along the way
- Prepare and take action/concrete steps towards engaging patients and their families
- Describe examples of how they have applied material learned from the course in their own practice
- Accessible via desktop or tablets
- Facilitation, guidance and feedback
- Cohort structure, featuring interaction with peers from across the country via discussion forums and weekly live webinars
The course consists of six online modules and lasts six weeks. Each week’s module will require four to five hours of study.
Maximum class size
Michael Gardam, MD, MSc, CM, CIC, FRCPC
Dates, prices and to register