Effective communication skills for physician leaders – online, facilitated
Participants need to be a CMA member to access the course through the CMA’s learning management system (LMS).
Please click to view computer requirements for online courses.
As successful leaders, physicians need to show strength in multiple areas, such as envisioning, planning, organizing, developing strategic alignments, managing on the basis of values, and empowering colleagues, as well as discipline and accountability. All of these activities require effective communication as a fundamental skill, and achieving success at the highest levels depends on learning the art of communication. When the rest of the team are aware of and understand the leader’s goals, as conveyed through effective communication, it becomes easier for them to work together and to be motivated and engaged in the process. Strong leaders are strong communicators.
This six-week course focuses on developing and enriching communication skills. It is designed to help participants gain knowledge of concepts and key themes in effective communication and to learn to apply these concepts and themes in their own areas of practice. The course will also assist participants gain a greater understanding of their own communication style and how it affects situations and interactions with other individuals.
The keystone will be a comprehensive personal communication development plan, which is designed to assist participants in communicating effectively in a variety of situations.
Return on investment
- Discuss the factors that influence communication within healthcare organizations and healthcare teams.
- Explain the role of attentive listening in effective communication.
- Describe how building relationships affects communication.
- Identify how best to apply appropriate and effective communication strategies within various contexts, to various audiences.
- Participants will move as a cohort through the course, completing one module per week, but can choose when to be online according to their personal schedules.
- Accessible via desktop or tablets
- Facilitation, guidance and feedback
- Cohort structure, featuring interaction with peers from across the country via discussion forums and webinars
- A foundation for the open-enrolment PLI face-to-face courses
The course consists of six online modules and lasts six weeks. Each week’s module will require four to five hours of study.
Maximum class size
Mamta Gautam, MD, FRCPC, CPDC
Martin Lees, MD, PhD, FCCHL, CCPE
Gautham Suresh, MBBS, MD, DM, MS
Dates, prices and to register
CMA members can create an account using their six-digit CMA ID number. Need help with your CMA ID number? Call our Member Services Centre 888-855-2555 (toll-free).
For open-enrolment PLI course information please call 800-663-7336 x8455 or e-mail email@example.com.
The CMA reserves the right to cancel or reschedule the course or change facilitator when necessary. The full registration fee will be refunded in the event of a course cancellation.