Coaching for excellence
(formerly Physician as coach)
This course is available in-house only.
Coaching is increasingly being adopted as part of a support and development strategy in our health care system. When physicians assume formal leadership roles, they are in the position of managing and enabling the performance of others. Coaching is one of the strategies they can use to unlock people's potential to maximize performance.
This course helps physicians discover ways to practically apply coaching skills in a variety of contexts. These skills can be used to support and optimize the performance of those around them — colleagues, patients, administrators or other stakeholders. You will learn to build a coaching culture that maximizes strengths and supports greater capacity to find creative solutions to challenging situations.
Return on investment
- Address opportunities in the medical context where coaching can be useful.
- Explain the nature of the coaching relationship and the mindset required for successful coaching.
- Discuss how coaching can contribute to engagement for individual and team performance.
- Identify strategies for establishing a coaching relationship.
- Describe a model of coaching that can be used by physicians.
- Practise coaching skills of listening, inquiry and support.
- Develop a plan for using coaching in your work context.
Maximum class size
Susan J. Lieff, MD, MEd, MMan, FRCPC
Paul Mohapel, PhD
For open-enrolment PLI course information please call 800-663-7336 x8455 or e-mail