Privacy policies for the CMA and its subsidiaries
CMA and its subsidiaries have always valued your privacy and acted to ensure that it is protected.
CMA and its subsidiaries have enacted policies to put into writing current practices and to conform to recent and anticipated legislative requirements requiring organizations to have written privacy policies.
The CMA also provides links to national and international health information privacy resources at
Online Privacy Statement for cma.ca
cookies and e-commerce.
We have recently revised the cma.ca Online Privacy Statement to keep our information handling practices current and transparent. These changes include sharing your contact and usage information if you are a registered user with the other companies in the CMA Group of Companies (see Disclosing Information, para. 1), further details with respect to our arrangements with advertisers and sponsors (see Disclosing Information, para. 2), and providing the ability to use your information for product support purposes (see Why We Collect Information at cma.ca). If you have any questions about these changes, contact us by sending an email to
Online Privacy Statement for cma.ca
The CMA recognizes the importance of protecting the privacy of personal information. You have a right to know the types of information collected by the cma.ca website, and how and why we collect and use it. You also have a right to choose whether you wish to provide us with this personal information or have it collected.
Please read this privacy statement carefully so that you will understand how your personal information will be treated as you make use of our site. By using the cma.ca site, you agree to the terms of this privacy statement.
What information is collected at the cma.ca website
We collect the following information from users of cma.ca:
- information at registration such as your CMA ID number, date of birth, email address and clinical and lifestyle interests
- information during e-commerce transactions such as name, address, transaction details and credit card information
- if you are a registered user, information about your usage of cma.ca and the products and services you select
- anonymous non-personal computer information through the use of
- information you voluntarily provide through the 'My profile' section
- information when you respond to requests for feedback and other opportunities to comment on products and services offered on cma.ca, or on CMA policy
- information such as your email address when you subscribe to features like email alerts and other products and services offered on cma.ca
Why we collect information at cma.ca
We collect information at the cma.ca site for the following purposes, or consistent with the following
- to register you as a cma.ca physician visitor and confirm your status as a physician and CMA member for the gated portions of the website
- to create internal reports to understand individual and aggregate web usage and activity levels
- to communicate with you
You can change your mind at any time about receiving email communication by using the unsubscribe instructions provided with each email with the exception of urgent health alerts. As well, your email preference and address is saved in a part of the cma.ca website called 'My profile'. You can also change your email preferences by accessing your profile anytime.
- to confirm that you have successfully registered
- to provide you with information on topics such as updates about features and contents of the website or medical specialty CME alerts
- to provide you with the opportunity to provide feedback on the website and CMA products, services or policies
- to provide you with the opportunity to participate in online CME needs assessments
- to provide you with product support on services available on the site
- to provide you with information about benefits and services offered by CMA and its subsidiary companies, as well as third party service providers
- in exceptional circumstances, to inform Canadian physicians of urgent health alerts of national importance
- to customize your experience of the cma.ca website if you provided us with information at registration about your clinical and lifestyle interests and also according to your history of e-commerce purchases
- to complete your e-commerce purchases, and for billing and shipping of goods or services sold. We retain a record of your billing and shipping information for accounting and customer support purposes. For credit card information, we retain the cardholder name, card issuer, expiry date and the last four digits of the credit card number for the purposes of making available to you your purchase history over time, and to guard against fraud and wrongful use.
We may enter into agreements directly with advertisers and sponsors with whom we share reports, at the aggregate level, that provide information about the number of times their advertisements have been viewed (impressions) and the number of times users click on the advertisement or sponsor details for more information.
Accessing and objecting to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information
If at any time you wish to update the information you provided during registration, to verify its accuracy, or to opt out of any use of your personal information, you may visit the
My profile section of the website and/or email
email@example.com. Please note that your notification preferences (such as email and shipping address) will apply to cma.ca transactions only. If you wish to change your mailing and contact information for the Canadian Medical Association and its subsidiaries call the Member Centre at 888-855-2555.
If you object to providing some personal information, we may not be able to give you access to certain portions of the website because these are reserved for physicians and members only. These require your CMA ID number for access. However, if you do not wish to provide your date of birth in order to register for the website, contact the CMA Member Centre at 888-855-2555 to discuss the alternate process available.
The cma.ca website has physical and technical measures in place to ensure the security of information. It uses state-of-the-art technology to safeguard your data. Servers reside in Canada in pass-code-secured rooms accessible to only a limited group of authorized personnel. All access to these rooms is tracked through video surveillance. We also use advanced encryption and firewall technology. Although we make every reasonable effort to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk involved in transmitting information over the Internet.
Questions about this policy statement
We will in all cases respect your privacy preferences.
This privacy statement applies only to the cma.ca website. You should be aware that the cma.ca site contains links to other websites, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites. We encourage you to look for and review the privacy statements of every website you visit through a link on cma.ca, or at any site that collects personal information from you.
If you have any questions about the cma.ca online privacy statement, email
MD Financial Management includes MD Financial Management Inc., MD Management Limited, MD Private Trust Company, MD Life Insurance Company and MD Insurance Agency Limited.