Privacy policies for the CMA and its subsidiaries
CMA and its subsidiaries have always valued your privacy and acted to ensure that it is protected.
CMA and its subsidiaries have enacted policies to put into writing current practices, and to conform to recent and anticipated legislative requirements requiring organizations to have written privacy policies.
Online Privacy Statement for cma.ca
We have recently revised the cma.ca Online Privacy Statement to keep our information handling practices current and transparent. These changes include sharing your contact and usage information if you are a registered user with the other companies in the CMA Group of Companies (see Disclosing Information, para. 1), further details with respect to our arrangements with advertisers and sponsors (see Disclosing Information, para. 2), and providing the ability to use your information for product support purposes (see Why We Collect Information at cma.ca). If you have any questions about these changes, contact us by sending an email to
Online Privacy Statement for cma.ca
The CMA recognizes the importance of protecting the privacy of personal information. You have a right to know the types of information collected by the cma.ca website, and how and why we collect and use it. You also have a right to choose whether you wish to provide us with this personal information or have it collected.
Please read this privacy statement carefully so that you will understand how your personal information will be treated as you make use of our site. By using the cma.ca site, you agree to the terms of this privacy statement.
What information is collected at cma.ca, and how it’s collected
We collect the following information from users of cma.ca:
- information at registration such as your CMA ID number, date of birth, email address, practice status, and communication preferences
- information during e-commerce transactions such as name, address, transaction details and credit card information if you are a registered user, information about your usage of cma.ca such as the products and services you use
- anonymous non-personal computer information through the use of cookie technology
- information you voluntarily provide within your 'Dashboard' such as communication preferences
- information when you respond to requests for feedback and other opportunities to comment on products and services offered on cma.ca, or on CMA policy
- information such as your email address when you subscribe to features like email alerts and other products and services offered on cma.ca
Visiting our sites
When you visit our websites from a link on another website and move from page to page, read pages, search for content or download content onto your computer, we learn which pages are visited, what content is downloaded, and the address of websites that you visited immediately before coming to our website. However, this information is used only in aggregate.
How we use information collected on our website
We use this information to find out how many people visit our website and which sections of the site are visited most frequently. This helps us to know what type of information is most useful to you so that we can improve our website and make it easier for you to access information. We record the statistical information on the numbers of visitors to our website, but no personal information about you will be kept or used.
Using our interactive services
When you register as a cma.ca user we compile a profile of you for that service (e.g. name, address, CMA ID, username, password, etc.). Each time you use our Internet services, we use your profile to collect information about the transactions that you complete and the informational pages of the website that you visit while using the service. In certain instances we may collect your IP address (which identifies the internet address of the computer you are using) to identify you as a unique user.
- We use your profile in responding to your enquiries about selected services.
- We use your cma.ca profile to identify you as a user of the service.
- We use the transaction information in the aggregate to assess and improve the service.
- We use specific transaction information for servicing purposes (e.g. registering you for a meeting).
We also use both your transaction information and the informational pages of the website that you have visited to help us determine areas of interest so that we can offer other products and services to you.
At this time, CMA does not accept third-party advertising on the cma.ca website. If that changes in the future, this privacy statement will be updated to explain how information is shared with them.
Cookies are small text files a website creates when you visit a site. There are two common types of cookies, “session cookies” and “persistent cookies”. Session cookies store information only for the length of time that you are connected to a website. Unlike “persistent cookies” they are not written onto your hard drive.
With most web browsers, you can choose to reject all cookies or accept cookies only from certain sites. You can also choose to delete cookies or to receive a warning before a cookie is used. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions.
On cma.ca, session cookies are used as part of the login process. If you choose to reject cookies from cma.ca, you will not be able to login and use all the functions and services on the site.
We also use session cookies to learn how all our visitors navigate throughout the various parts of the website. This website tracking data is used in the aggregate to help us provide the most efficient service and navigational tools for our visitors.
Cookies can also make your use of the web easier by saving language and login preferences. You can indicate whether or not you wish to have your language and login preferences saved by checking the “Keep me logged in” box at registration, in the login box or on the ‘Personal information’ within your Dashboard. If this option is checked, persistent cookies are used to store your language preference and login information so that you will not need to enter your login id each time you visit the site. If this option is not selected you may need to re-enter your login information every time you visit the site.
Why we collect information at cma.ca
We collect information at the cma.ca site for the following purposes, or consistent with the following
- to register you as a cma.ca physician visitor and confirm your status as a physician and CMA member for the gated portions of the website
- to create internal reports to understand individual and aggregate web usage and activity levels
- to communicate with you
- to confirm that you have successfully registered
- to provide you with information such as updates about features, content on the website, medical specialty CME alerts etc.
- to help us identify and resolve technical issues you may experience while visiting cma.ca
- to provide you with the opportunity to provide feedback on the website and CMA products, services or policies
- to provide you with the opportunity to participate in online CME needs assessments
- to provide you with product support on services available on the site
- to provide you with information about benefits and services offered by CMA and its subsidiary companies, as well as third party service providers
- in exceptional circumstances, to inform Canadian physicians of urgent health alerts of national importance
- to customize your experience of the cma.ca website through data collected using cookies and pixels
- to complete your e-commerce transactions, such as meeting registrations and product purchases, and for billing and shipping of goods or services sold. We retain a record of your billing and shipping information for accounting and customer support purposes. For credit card information, we retain the cardholder name, card issuer, expiry date and the last four digits of the credit card number for the purposes of making available to you your purchase history over time, and to guard against fraud and wrongful use.
You can change your mind at any time about receiving email communication by using the unsubscribe instructions provided with each email with the exception of urgent health alerts. As well, your email preference is saved in a part of the cma.ca website within Personal Information in your ‘Dashboard. You can also change your email preferences by accessing your profile anytime.
We do not sell or trade the personal information collected at cma.ca. We share personal information about you with third parties to provide you with the products or services you have purchased (for example, for credit card processing). We may share your personal information with CMA subsidiary companies. We may also share your personal information under authority of a valid legal requirement such as a law, regulation or search warrant. In all other cases, we will seek your permission before we disclose personal information.
Accessing and objecting to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information
If at any time you wish to update the information you provided during registration, to verify its accuracy, or to opt out of any use of your personal information, log into your cma.ca account and visit your ‘Dashboard’. and/or email
email@example.com. Please note that your notification preferences (such as email) will apply to cma.ca transactions only. If you wish to change your mailing and contact information for the Canadian Medical Association and its subsidiaries call the Member Centre at 888-855-2555.
If you object to providing some personal information, we may not be able to give you access to certain portions of the website because these are reserved for physicians and members only. These require your CMA ID number for access. However, if you do not wish to provide your date of birth in order to register for the website, contact the CMA Member Centre at 888-855-2555 to discuss the alternate process available.
The cma.ca website has physical and technical measures in place to ensure the security of information. It uses state-of-the-art technology to safeguard your data. Servers reside in Canada in pass-code-secured rooms accessible to only a limited group of authorized personnel. All access to these rooms is tracked through video surveillance. We also use advanced encryption and firewall technology. Although we make every reasonable effort to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk involved in transmitting information over the Internet.
Questions about this policy statement
We will in all cases respect your privacy preferences.
This privacy statement applies only to the cma.ca website. You should be aware that the cma.ca site contains links to other websites, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites. We encourage you to look for and review the privacy statements of every website you visit through a link on cma.ca, or at any site that collects personal information from you.
If you have any questions about the cma.ca online privacy statement, email