Top 20 POEMs of 2015
Twenty POEMs summarizing original research studies and sent to CMA members by email in 2015 are listed by subject below. Out of 251 critically appraised studies that addressed a primary care question, CMA members determined these 20 have the greatest clinical relevance for physicians.
Reference: Mark H. Ebell MD, MS and Roland Grad MD, MSc. Top 20 Research Studies of 2015 for Primary Care Physicians in American Family Physician, Volume 93, Issue 9, Pages 756-762.
To learn more, read the full-text article through ClinicalKey.
Sign up for daily POEMs by email or receive notifications through the Joule app.
This is the fifth installment in a series appearing in American Family Physician.
Top 20 POEMs of 2014
Top 20 POEMs of 2013
Top 20 POEMs of 2012
Top 20 POEMs of 2011
Respiratory Tract Infection
- Do negative rapid strep test results need to be confirmed by culture?
- Are there subgroups of adults with acute lower respiratory tract infection who may benefit from antibiotics?
- How frequently do harms of amoxicillin (with or without clavulanate) occur?
- What is the epidemiology of community-acquired pneumonia in adults who require hospitalization?
- Does early imaging of older adults with back pain improve outcomes?
- Is acetaminophen effective for the treatment of low back pain or osteoarthritis?
- What is the optimal medication regimen for treating adults with acute low back pain?
- Is early physical therapy more effective than usual care in treating adults with acute low back pain?
- For adults with chronic low back pain, is a prescribed walking program as effective as physical therapy?
Screening and Prevention
- What is the best duration of nicotine replacement therapy in patients who also receive extensive counseling?
- Does exercise training, vitamin D, or the combination of both decrease the number of falls in older women?
- Are men who are invited to receive systematic prostate cancer screening better off than men who receive routine care?
- Are there long-term benefits to more intensive glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus?
- Does intensive glycemic control in high-risk patients with type 2 diabetes decrease the frequency of ischemic heart disease events?
- What is the association between glycemic control and cardiovascular mortality in patients with type 1 diabetes?
- What are the benefits of treating mild hypertension?
- Is low-dose aspirin beneficial for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in high-risk older adults with atherosclerotic risk factors?
- What is the best treatment regimen for eradication of Helicobacter pylori?
- Do sterile gloves yield lower wound infection rates than clean nonsterile gloves during minor skin surgery?
- How long can women expect the vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause to last?
POEMs are provided by Essential Evidence Plus, a point-of-care clinical decision support system published by Wiley-Blackwell.