Together, we can build a better future of health.
Massive backlogs. Family doctor shortages. Record-high burnout rates. Canada’s health system is under unprecedented pressure and we need to take action – now.
The CMA is committed to charting a better way forward – by bringing the right people together to find solutions, by developing and championing leaders in the medical profession, by targeted giving, and by influencing policy relevant to everyone in Canada.
Will you join us?
We advocate on issues that matter to the profession
Your membership, expertise and support allow us to amplify physicians’ voices on issues that will help achieve:
A health system that's sustainable, more accessible and patient partnered
Just as troubling gaps in our overburdened health care systems have been exposed, too many patients continue to face significant barriers getting the care they need. We’re taking steps to:
- advance urgently needed government collaboration, hosting two emergency summits on the current crisis and calling for increased funding and accountability at a landmark meeting of Canada’s health ministers
- fix primary care with targeted policy recommendations developed with the Canadian Nurses Association and College of Family Physicians of Canada
- advance pan-Canadian physician licensure through joint efforts with 15+ national health organizations
A new medical culture that's focused on physical and mental well-being and one that embraces equity and diversity
The CMA is working to transform the health care system to ensure physicians are well supported and can practise in a safe and fulfilling environment. We’re building from ongoing initiatives to support a vibrant profession by:
- playing an instrumental role in the passing of Bill C-3 to protect health care workers from bullying and harassment
- releasing our National Physician Health Survey to draw attention to record levels of physician distress
- funding projects across the country that contribute to physician health and well-being in collaboration with MD Financial Management and Scotiabank
A society where every individual has an equal opportunity to be healthy
The CMA is prepared to disrupt conventional thinking to ensure that support for health extends beyond treatment of illness and ensures everyone has an opportunity to be healthy. We’re focusing on:
- working in allyship with a Guiding Circle of First Nations, Inuit and Métis experts and knowledge-keepers and supporting Indigenous-led organizations through giving
- addressing the health impacts of climate change and identifying ways to reduce and offset greenhouse gas emissions in health care
- creating a future where older adults can access the full spectrum of supports to age with dignity in their community
We connect the profession
The biggest lever of change is community. Through the CMA, physicians and medical learners across the country have a platform to connect and engage with each other on health and professional topics that matter to them. A membership will give you many ways to get involved and shape our work through the Health Summit, Annual General Meeting, member forums, surveys and member health policy proposals.
We support the profession day-to-day
The CMA and its group of companies offer tools and services to help you at every stage of your career:
Through the Physician Wellness Hub, you can access reliable health and wellness resources selected and reviewed by experts, sign up for peer support group sessions and find support programs and counseling.
Support your practice and increase your knowledge with access to a vast collection of clinical resources, including: The Canadian Medical Association Journal, CMAJ Open, the Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience and the Canadian Journal of Surgery.
Through CMA Joule, learning opportunities are available to help develop your leadership skills or build non-clinical skills to run an efficient medical practice.