Together, we can drive lasting change.
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted what many of us in health have known for some time — that the gaps in the system, in health outcomes and in medical culture are widening.
We’re seizing this moment to build a better future for health alongside the medical community. Will you join us?
We advocate on issues that matter to the profession
Your membership, expertise and support allow us to amplify physicians’ voices on issues that will help achieve:
A health system that is sustainable, more accessible and patient partnered
Just as troubling gaps in our overburdened health care systems have been exposed, too many patients continue to face significant barriers getting the care they need. We’re taking steps to:
- Expand the adoption of publicly funded virtual care, building on the roadmap we identified in partnership with the Royal College and the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC).
- Offering resources to help physicians and patients navigate virtual care.
- Advocate for change to meet the growing care needs of an aging population.
- Call for new investments to help address the backlog created by the pandemic.
- Advance national licensure and improve health human resources (HHR) planning.
A new medical culture that is focused on physical and mental well-being and one that embraces equity and diversity
The CMA is working to transform the health care system to ensure physicians are well supported and can practice in a safe and fulfilling environment. We’re building from ongoing initiatives to support a vibrant profession:
- Funding projects across the country that contribute to the health and well-being of physicians and medical learners in collaboration with MD Financial Management and Scotiabank.
- Working to advance equity, diversity and inclusion within the CMA’s governance structure.
A society where every individual has an equal opportunity to be healthy
The CMA is prepared to disrupt conventional thinking to ensure that support for health extends beyond treatment of illness and ensures everyone has an opportunity to be healthy. We’re focusing on:
- Ensuring climate change is understood and addressed as a challenge to the health system and a key driver of population health.
- A future where older adults have access to the full spectrum of supports to age with dignity in their community.
We connect the profession
The biggest lever of change is community. Through the CMA, physicians and medical learners across the country have a platform to connect and engage with each other on health and professional topics that matter to them. A membership will give you many ways to get involved and shape our work through the Health Summit, Annual General Meeting, member forums, surveys and member health policy proposals.
We support the profession day-to-day
The CMA and its group of companies offer tools and services to help you at every stage of your career:
Through the Physician Wellness Hub, you can access reliable health and wellness resources selected and reviewed by experts, sign up for peer support group sessions and get access to support programs and counseling.
Support your practice and increase your knowledge with access to a vast collection of clinical resources. These include CMAJ: The Canadian Medical Association Journal, CMAJ Open, the Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience and the Canadian Journal of Surgery.
Through CMA Joule, learning opportunities are available to help develop your leadership skills or build managerial skills to run an efficient medical practice.