It goes without saying that the past several months have been anything but typical, with the COVID-19 pandemic causing us all to refocus our priorities. While physicians and other health care providers have quickly pivoted to care for Canadians under these new and extremely challenging circumstances, we at the CMA have been watching, listening and responding to make sure you’re being supported along the way.
The pandemic has presented us all with incredible challenges, but it’s also forced some much-needed discussion and action on the state of our health care system, from how to better mitigate physician burnout and promote wellness, expand access to care for Canadians through virtual services, overhaul care for our seniors, and more.
Published in the lead up to our Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Aug. 23, our annual report provides an overview of our work in these areas and others. And with our AGM being held virtually this year, we hope to have more members across the country join us: to learn more about our work, ask questions to me and the CMA board chair, and hear from our incoming president, Dr. Ann Collins from New Brunswick.
To view this year’s AGM agenda and to register, please visit cma.ca/annual-general-meeting-and-general-council.'
New member resources
Managing your practice:
- We’ve updated our Re-opening your Practice guide to make it easier to access the information you need. It’s based on the latest clinical guidance from across the country and covers topics such as resuming non-urgent health care services, administrative and operational controls, cleaning, visits with symptomatic patients, and PPE and infection control measures.
- Joule’s Ask a Librarian team continues to pull together the latest evidence-based resources related to the pandemic, and is also available to answer your specific clinical questions.
Health and wellness:
- Dr. Michael Kaufmann, a specialist in addiction medicine and physician wellness, shares the risk factors and red flags to look out for when it comes to your personal wellness.
- A reminder that earlier this week, we launched the Wellness Connection, our new peer support space for physicians and physicians-in-training.
- Joule is hosting two online mindfulness workshops on July 21 and 29. Find out more about these free, interactive sessions and register.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with your questions or suggestions. Our Member Service Centre can be reached at email@example.com or toll-free at 1-888-855-2555 (weekdays from 8 am to 8 pm EDT).
My heartfelt thanks to you,
Dr. Sandy Buchman