Now, more than ever, we need to do health differently.
The Canadian Medical Association (CMA) Awards celebrate the changemakers across the country who are making that happen.
The CMA calls on members to nominate their peers and colleagues for their significant contributions to health, health care and the medical profession.
Spanning 10 categories, recipients of the CMA Awards come from different career stages, specialties and backgrounds, and from rural and remote areas as well as big cities. They reflect the diversity of the profession and the communities we serve.
The nomination period for the 2023 CMA Awards is now open and will run until Nov. 30. The CMA Awards Committee will review all submissions in February 2023.
With the exception of two awards – the Owen Adams Award of Honour and the John McCrae Memorial Medal, which are open to non-CMA members – nominations can only be submitted by and for CMA members in good standing. Membership status and renewals can be accessed here or by contacting the CMA Member Service Centre at email@example.com or 1-888-855-2555.
The CMA Awards include:
- F.N.G. Starr Award The CMA’s highest honour, recognizing the lifetime achievement of a CMA member
- Dr. Léo-Paul Landry Medal of Service Awarded to a member who has made exceptional contributions to the advancement of health care in Canada
- Owen Adams Award of Honour Honouring a non-physician for their service and contribution to the medical profession
- May Cohen Award for Women Mentors Presented to a female physician who has demonstrated outstanding mentorship
- Canadian Medical Association Award for Political Advocacy Presented to a CMA member advancing CMA goals and policies through grassroots advocacy
- Awards for Young Leaders Recognizing up to six students, residents and early-career physicians who have demonstrated exemplary dedication, commitment and leadership
- Dr. William Marsden Award in Medical Ethics and Professionalism Honouring a CMA member who has furthered the cause of medical ethics in Canada
- John McCrae Memorial Medal Open to non-CMA members, this award recognizes current or former clinical health services personnel of the Canadian Armed Forces for exemplary service
- Dr. Brian Brodie Organizational Leadership Development Award Given to a student and a resident who demonstrate exemplary leadership
- Dr. Ashok Muzumdar Memorial Award for Physicians with Disabilities Granted to a CMA member with a disability who demonstrates resilience and leadership