The Canadian Medical Association (CMA) is calling on members to nominate peers and colleagues who are significant contributions to health, health care and the medical profession.
At a time when patients struggle to access care and the health care system needs urgent reform, it’s especially important to celebrate physicians who are driving change.
These annual awards recognize an outstanding physician, medical learner or non-physician contributor.
The nomination period will run until Nov. 30, 2023.
Past recipients come from different career stages, specialties and backgrounds, and from rural and remote areas as well as big cities. They also reflect the diversity of the profession and the communities we serve.
With the exception of two awards — the Owen Adams Award of Honour and the John McCrae Memorial Award, which are open to non-CMA members — nominations can only be submitted by and for CMA members in good standing.
Learn more about the awards and how to apply.
The CMA Awards include:
- F.N.G. Starr Award The CMA’s highest honour, recognizing the lifetime achievement of a CMA member
- Dr. Léo-Paul Landry Medal of Service Awarded to a member who has made exceptional contributions to the advancement of health care in Canada
- Owen Adams Award of Honour Honouring a non-physician for their service and contribution to the medical profession
- May Cohen Award for Women Mentors Presented to a female physician who has demonstrated outstanding mentorship
- Canadian Medical Association Award for Political Advocacy Presented to a CMA member advancing CMA goals and policies through grassroots advocacy
- Award for Young Leaders Recognizing up to six students, residents and early-career physicians who have demonstrated exemplary dedication, commitment and leadership
- Dr. William Marsden Award in Medical Ethics and Professionalism Honouring a CMA member who has furthered the cause of medical ethics in Canada
- John McCrae Memorial Medal Open to non-CMA members, this award recognizes current or former clinical health services personnel of the Canadian Armed Forces for exemplary service
- Dr. Brian Brodie Organizational Leadership Development Award Given to a student and a resident who demonstrate exemplary leadership
- Dr. Ashok Muzumdar Memorial Award for Physicians with Disabilities Granted to a CMA member with a disability who demonstrates resilience and leadership
Please note that other than the Dr. Brian Brodie Organizational Leadership Development Award and the Dr. Ashok Muzumdar Memorial Award for Physicians with Disabilities, you can’t nominate yourself for an award.