The Dr. Ashok Muzumdar Memorial Award for Physicians with Disabilities (including medical learners) honours the founder of the Canadian Association of Physicians with Disabilities, an advocate and supporter for physicians and learners with disabilities.
The award is granted to a CMA member with a disability, whether physical, cognitive or psychological, who demonstrates resilience and leadership in one of the following ways:
- advocating for positive changes at the regional, national and/or international level for patients and/or physicians with disabilities
- encouraging and facilitating the development of more equitable supports (e.g., facilities, assistance or funding) for patients and/or physicians with disabilities
- being a role model and/or mentor for physicians and learners with disabilities
- improving the quality of care and quality of life for people with disabilities
- educating the public regarding the many facets of disabilities